RE: [ft-devel] Regarding the 2.1.10 release

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Regarding the 2.1.10 release
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:05:11 +0200

Hello Owen,

> Do you have a planned timescale for when the final 2.1.10 is
> planned? If we can do the pango/opentype changes to make it
> use the raw tables in the next few weeks, and still have a few
> more weeks to test that in HEAD, then that probably will work
> fine.

I don't have a planned time-scale at the moment. I'm currently
struggling to find free time to even make the first 'stable'
release.

I also begin to believe that it may be better, at the moment,
to follow this release scheme:

- immediately release 2.1.10 with all memory optimizations
  disabled, keeping major library number as 6. This could be
  seen as an upgrade from 2.1.9, since there has been
  tremendous changes since.

- also release 2.2.0rc1, which should be the same code,
  except for the following:

    * memory optimizations turned on
    * major library version to 7
    * no more internal headers installed
    * big warnings at compile and installation time about
      what's going on.

- create a VER-2-1 branch in the CVS to maintain the 'stable'
  code in case of important bug-fixes (i.e. a need for 2.1.11)

- continue developing the 2.2.x in HEAD

2.2.0 should be considered a release candidate until we get acceptable
patches for at least fontconfig, libXft, Pango and Qt. I expect quite
a number of them before we're all satisfied.

Since I'm expecting a new baby in the next days (no kidding), I can't
make any promise for a time-scale. And FreeType old-timers already know
that each time I make such a claim, I end up delivering the goods much
later anyway :-)

Not to say that I wouldn't really like to make 2.1.10 as described above
ASAP. Werner, could you help here ?

- David Turner