RE: [ft-devel] Regarding the 2.1.10 release (misbehavior of fontforge)

From: George Williams
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Regarding the 2.1.10 release (misbehavior of fontforge)
Date: 30 Mar 2005 13:43:11 -0800

On Wed, 2005-03-30 at 06:39, Turner, David wrote:
> given the amount of things you rely on, and the fact that we
> have no time to define a safe way to expose all of this,
> wouldn't it make sense to simply duplicate the code within
> FontForge ?
Now that is an intriguing possibility. I take it you don't mind my
bundling your code into fontforge?

I think for the moment I will not do this:
  1) I'm overworked too
  2) Haven't been any problems yet (if it ain't broke don't fix it)
  3) as far as I know, Werner is the only person who uses it, and he
uses it to debug freetype. If I divorced it from the freetype code base
it might not be as useful for him.

Werner how do you feel about this?

> It would also allow you to modify it, for example to improve
> its debugging output.
I could get rid of the stupid pthreads complications. It has much to
recommend it.

> Of course, you'll have to use the #define PATENT trick as well,
> but that's a different story.
Or wait till Apple's patents expire and insert it then...