[ft-devel] extra pixels in fonts

From: Gurusamy Sarathy
Subject: [ft-devel] extra pixels in fonts
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 18:40:03 -0700

[This was originally sent to address@hidden, but I never got
a response, so I'm posting it again here.]

I hope I've reached the right place for reporting font
rendering issues with freetype.

I am finding that tahoma.ttf renders at 8pt with some
annoying extra pixels on my Gentoo 2005.1 and SuSE 9.2
systems.  Gentoo is running freetype-2.1.5 while SuSE
is running freetype-2.1.9.  I have applied the ttgload.c
patch committed on 2004-11-19 to "disable the vertical
shift before hinting" (described in the thread below)
to the freetype-2.1.9 source RPM that comes with SuSE,
and also enabled the bytecode interpreter flag.

The extra pixels can be seen highlighted in red in
this image:

  http://public.activestate.com/gsar/tahoma-windows-vs-freetype.gif

The same(?) problem seems to have been reported in this
thread:

  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.fonts.freetype.devel/2620
  http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.fonts.freetype.devel/2621

However, the rendering of '3' is no longer an issue.  But
'6', '8', and 'v' are being rendered with an extra pixel
(compared to how Windows renders them, as seen in the gif
above).

Please let me know if you need further info.

Sarathy
address@hidden