Re: [ft-devel] units_per_em in CFF/CID FDArray

From: Dirck Blaskey
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] units_per_em in CFF/CID FDArray
Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2005 02:02:35 -0700

Werner LEMBERG wrote:

After some investigation I think this is the wrong approach.  Note
that each CID subfont can have a different FontMatrix value!  For the
user, only the top dict's entry should be returned.

The right approach IMHO is to select the subfont's FontMatrix in
cff_slot_load, similar to the code in the CID module.

Below is an untested patch which I ask you to verify (and fix if
necessary :-).

Hi Werner,

Thanks for taking a look at this. I can see why you'd like to take the approach
you've outlined.  Unfortunately, it doesn't work.

It looks to me like in cff_parse_font_matrix, once it extracts the units_per_EM
value, it renormalizes the matrix back to 0x10000 0 0 0x10000 etc.
So fonts with 1000 or 2048 units_per_EM have the same matrix in the
cff->subfonts[fd_index]->font_dict.font_matrix where you're looking.

If you want to pursue it further, attached is the 2048.cff font.
Let me know if you need any more information.

thanks again,