Re: [ft-devel] Make FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden standard API?

From: Chia I Wu
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Make FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden standard API?
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 16:50:30 +0800

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 07:51:12AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > As fontconfig and xft already have the code to "embolden" and rely
> > on FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden to do the real job, I think
> > FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden should be made standard API.  This is an
> > important feature for Chinese (maybe also Japanese and Korean)
> > users, as most Chinese fonts don't have a real bold style.
>
> Basically, I don't object, but this won't happen in the next release
> which is in pretest stage right now.
Sure.

After some more inspection, I find there is already FT_Glyph for glyph
manipulation. Then, why not

        FT_Glyph_Embolden
        FT_Glyph_Oblique
?

Also I tried to modify the embolden algorithm for outline glyph, and it
now uses similar algorithm as the one I use for bitmap glyph. This is
done because the old algorithm generates some artifact. See:

http://www.olv.idv.tw/~olvaffe/tmp/freetype2/b-old.png
http://www.olv.idv.tw/~olvaffe/tmp/freetype2/b-new.png