Re: [ft-devel] Setting FT_ValidationLevel

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Setting FT_ValidationLevel
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 08:53:13 +0200 (CEST)

> I have found that there is no way to pass FT_VALIDATE_DEFAULT,
> FT_VALIDATE_TIGHT not FT_VALIDATE_PARANOID to FT_OpenType_Validate.
>
> Always FT_VALIDATE_DEFAULT is used.  Is it expected behavior?

Yes, more or less.  I've modeled the validation code after the cmap
validation code which also doesn't allow configuration.  IIRC, David's
idea was that a normal build of the FreeType library should use the
default value since it isn't its job to do a thorough font checking --
rather the opposite, namely to allow as much glitches in the font as
possible.  People who want to reuse FreeType's validation code will
change this.

Do you need it configurable?  Why?