Re: [ft-devel] Re: xorg crashes with freetype2-2.1.10

From: Jeremy Messenger
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Re: xorg crashes with freetype2-2.1.10
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:03:08 -0500

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:39:56 -0500, Joe Marcus Clarke <address@hidden> wrote:

On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 06:40 +0100, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:

<snip>
"-webfonts-courier new-medium..."

may worth checking your font.dir - seems to be hand-edited - mine
is auto-generated by mkfontdir, and entry start with e.g.
"-microsoft-courier new-..."

Ours is autogenerated by ttmkfdir.  You might fine some helpful hints on
crashing X from this thread:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-359535-highlight-aalib.html?sid=58ed6c452268c0e3f213df9db314ee45.

Okay, I have played with it more.. Guess what? Hin-Tak is right about rename the name do cause the trouble for freetype2 2.1.10 with no patch. The old freetype2 do accept the rename but not now in freetype2 2.1.10.

no-crash:       Run those..
                        # cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/webfonts
                        # rm fonts.*
                        # mkfontscale
                        # mkfontdir
                        # fc-cache -f -v

crash:          Same way above, but rename all microsoft and monotype to
                webfonts.

no-crash:       Edit x11-fonts/webfonts/Makefile by remove the rename
                microsoft and monotype part. Just leave name default.

crash:          Leave x11-fonts/webfonts/Makefile alone and let rename
                microsoft and monotype to webfonts.

I think I am going to modify webfonts to use mkfontscale and mkfontdir since it comes with xorg and remove the rename part. Then contact to the maintainer with patch.

Cheers,
Mezz

--
address@hidden  -  address@hidden