RE: [ft-devel] Bug in autofit render setup

From: chris
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Bug in autofit render setup
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 15:01:07 +0100 (BST)

>> Applied, thanks.  You've looked at Courier New with anti-aliasing off,
>> right?  If you switch it on, you won't see that horizontal lines
>> disappear.  FreeType's autofitter has been designed for AA mode only,
>>
> Werner, that's not true. The auto-fitter should be able to handle
> non-AA modes appropriately. If the lines disappear, there is some
> bug somewhere.

The same did happen with 2.1.8 (which defaults to autohint) we had the
same issue, setting the FT_LOAD_TARGET_MONO flag to Load_Glyph made it
work.  Upgrading to 2.1.10 showed the same issue, due to the switch to
autofit.

I don't believe that any AA is applied to X fonts, unless an extension is
in use.  So by default they're 1bpp images, so setting MONO makes sense.
Certainly the glyph render is done using MONO, eg:
FT_Render_Glyph(face->face->glyph, FT_RENDER_MODE_MONO);

We're using the X.org 6.8.2 font library, so I'd expect it's fairly
uptodate and relatively bug free but I should probably feedback to them
that it should be using the FL_LOAD_TARGET_MONO for the load_flags to
Load_Glpyh, since we're extracting 1bpp images.

Thanks,
Chris