RE: [ft-devel] Which modules to use

From: David Piepgrass
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] Which modules to use
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 09:55:29 -0600

>> How do I compile freetype with less than the full set of modules?  I
>> know there's a source file I must modify, but which one?  I only
>> want TTF and OTF support; which module(s) do I need for that?

>Attached you can find the latest version of INSTALL.ANY which
>documents this.

As far as I can see, INSTALL.ANY doesn't say how to omit modules, except simply
not compiling them.  I remember that there was an extra step--has that
requirement been removed?

Is there a list of descriptions of each of the modules? If not:

Is this module required for OpenType OTF files?:
      src/cff/cff.c           -- CFF/OpenType font driver
what about:
      src/otvalid/otvalid.c   -- OpenType table validation

What does this one do, i.e. what'll happen if it's left out?
      src/autofit/autofit.c   -- auto hinting module

BTW, given the phrase "once the definitive 2.0 release of FreeType has been
made", I suspect this FAQ entry is rather out-of-date:

--------------
IV.6 When will FreeType 2 support OpenType?

Well, the engine already reads OpenType/CFF files perfectly. What it doesn't do
is handle "OpenType Layout" tables yet.

FreeType 1 comes with a set of extensions that are used to load and manage
OpenType Layout tables. It even has a demonstration program named ftstrtto to
show its capabilities.

For FreeType 2, we have decided that the layout operations provided through
these tables are better placed in a specific text-layout library, (many people
having asked for such a thing). This new engine will not depend on FreeType2
explicitly and will be developed as a separate project. We plan to announce it
in a few weeks with all gory details, once the definitive 2.0 release of
FreeType has been made.