[ft-devel] Re: [freetype-autohint] Bitstream Vera and tilde

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: [freetype-autohint] Bitstream Vera and tilde
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:45:56 +0200 (CEST)

[Please use freetype-devel for further communication; we have moved
FreeType to savannah.nongnu.org.]

> I use Ubuntu Linux 5.04 where Bitstream Vera is the default system
> font.  I get the best font rendering results with autohinting
> enabled (sudo dpkg-reconfigure fontconfig).  The problem is that
> with autohinting, the tilde symbol (~) in 8 pt is displayed as a
> dash (-).  As far as I know all other characters are displayed
> correctly.  Is there a way to fix this?

Is it?  I can't see that with ftview, neither at 72dpi nor 96dpi.

Anyway, I don't think that this is easy to handle.  Main reason is
that Vera has a lot of TrueType instructions which changes the shape
depending on the size.  For small sizes, it exaggerates the vertical
extent of the tilde so that the rasterizer actually displays a tilde.
The autohinter can't do that.