[ft-devel] How to determine if patented hinting is enabled?

From: Huw D M Davies
Subject: [ft-devel] How to determine if patented hinting is enabled?
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 15:36:23 +0100

Hi,

I'm sure that this has come up before, but I can't find an answer.
Is there a way to determine, at runtime, whether the bytecode hinter
has been enabled?

I can do this with:
FT_DRIVER_HAS_HINTER(FT_Get_Module("truetype"))
but I have to include freetype/internal/ftobjs.h to do so, which
suggests to me that this isn't something I should rely on.  Is there a
better way?

The reason that this would be useful, is that I'd like to respect the
gasp table and turn off antialiasing for certain pixel size.  However,
I only want to do so when we have proper hinting enabled.
Non-antialiased, unhinted glyphs just look too ugly.

Many thanks,
Huw.