Re: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?

From: David Chester
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:43:30 -0500

Basically, what the ft-smooth patch does is to add some compile-time
configuration options for forcing some defaults.  This is usefull especially
for applications that use freetype directly and don't go through fontconfig
to set hinting options.

One configuration option forces the autohinter to be used even if a different
hinter would have been used otherwise.  The other configuration option forces
this hinting behaviour for the autohinter:

    hinter->do_horz_hints    = 0;
    hinter->do_vert_hints    = 1;
    hinter->do_horz_snapping = 0;
    hinter->do_vert_snapping = 0;
    hinter->do_stem_adjust   = 0;

It would be my vote for an overall default setup in freetype, but everybody
has their opinions.

David