RE: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?

From: Turner, David
Subject: RE: [ft-devel] ft-smooth for 2.1.10?
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 15:19:56 +0100

> Now, there is also the compile-time configuration from
> ftconfig.h which
> confuses me a bit in combination with the above:

What do you mean ?

> Does any of the LIGHT options force the auto-hinter being
> used (when it is compiled in), or does the LIGHT flag *only* work when the
> auto-hinter is selected by other means already?

At the moment, FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT doesn't force auto-hinting.
However, I'll make a patch tonight in the CVS because it really
should.

> The latter might explain why I am not seeing a difference in my test
> app.

If you have the bytecode interpreter turned on, you shouldn't
be able to see any difference. "light hinting" doesn't mean anything
to the TrueType interpreter, or even the Postscript one :-)

For the impatient, try stuffing this before line 526 in src/base/ftobjs.c,
that should do the trick.

------------------ cut here ---------------------------------
    /* force auto-hint for LIGHT hinting mode */
    if ( autohint && FT_LOAD_TARGET_MODE(load_flags) == FT_RENDER_MODE_LIGHT )
      load_flags |= FT_LOAD_FORCE_AUTOHINT;

- David
Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be
privileged, and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named
above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
in error, please immediately notify the address@hidden and destroy the original
message.