Re: [ft-devel] LIGHT hinting enhancement back-ported to FreeType 2.1.10

From: GhePeU
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] LIGHT hinting enhancement back-ported to FreeType 2.1.10
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 02:15:48 +0100

Il giorno ven, 06/01/2006 alle 08.16 +0100, David Turner ha scritto:
> hello,
>
> what you see is normal, since the LIGHT hinting mode also *forces*
> auto-hinting (after all, "light" hinting doesn't mean anything to the
> bytecode
> interpreter)
>
> to solve your problem, simply update your fonts.conf rules to set "full"
> hinting for Arial and other fonts you want to see handled by the bytecode
> interpreter

This doesn't seem to work, with rules as this one:

<match target="font">
        <edit name="hintstyle"
</match>

The auto-hinter is always enabled, unless I set the full hinting in the
gnome font properties applet. In which case some applications work as
expected and others don't comply with /etc/fonts/local.conf

> Apart from that, Firefox, as well as a few other applications (and even
> Gnome widgets !!) don't properly respond to changes in the fonts
> preferences dialog, you can however restart them after your change, and
> everything should work

I know (however Firefox 1.5, at least the gentoo one, changes
immediately the interface fonts and the dpi setting), but my settings
aren't applied even after restarting the applications, neither with the
old rule (autohint = false) nor with the new one (hintstyle = hintfull).

Could this be due to the interaction with gtk+/pango? I can't test with
other toolkits.

Giacomo Perale