Re: [ft-devel] web page for the forthcoming 2.2.0 release

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] web page for the forthcoming 2.2.0 release
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 09:12:52 +0100 (CET)

> I'd express my opinion on this since I feel strongly about having
> the best level of binary compatibility on the free desktop and to
> avoid the problems described in the famous Linux Problems
> document[1].
>
> [1] http://plan99.net/autopackage/Linux_Problems

This is excellent reading, BTW.  Unfortunately, my knowledge about
those tricky issues is far too limited to do a decision by myself
whether to increase the major DLL version or not.  My personal
feelings say yes, but...

Perhaps we shall *rename* the library to, say, `libft2', instead of
`libfreetype', together with a new API prefix `FT2_' instead of `FT_'.
This would avoid the whole mess.