Re: [ft-devel] On the impact of installing the next FreeType release on

From: david turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] On the impact of installing the next FreeType release on a typical Unix distribution
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 14:58:52 +0100

George Williams a écrit :
On Wed, 2006-02-15 at 17:31, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
- do the required modifications, encapsulating each of the "old"
  internals in a configuration macro
  (e.g. FT_CONFIG_OPTION_OLD_INTERNALS)

Sounds good.  We should mention in the docs that these steps are
performed only *once*, and that we are not going to maintain those
hacks.
As the author of a rogue client for which no patch is contemplated (and
for which we decided last year that there was no good way to provide a
patch) I must beg that
        TT_RunIns
remain reachable.

FontForge will work without it, but the debugger will be gone...

George, FontForge relies on a build of freetype that has the bytecode interpreter enabled. Moreover, you also #include our own source code (i.e. header files that were not even exposed by our 'make install' anyway), which means the most internal things within the font engine, even
those that should normally never be seen by rogue clients.

Just keeping TT_RunIns reachable is not enough, we must also prevent modifications of many internal structures of the TrueType driver and interpreter that you're relying on.

It'd be much better if you could find a way to embedded the FreeType functionality within
the FontForge sources directly, instead on relying on something so fragile.

Please understand that we don't want to maintain _that_ level of backwards compatibility.

Regards,

- David Turner

Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be
privileged, and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named
above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
in error, please immediately notify the address@hidden and destroy the original
message.