Re: [ft-devel] On the impact of installing the next FreeType release on

From: George Williams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] On the impact of installing the next FreeType release on a typical Unix distribution
Date: 16 Feb 2006 06:42:59 -0800

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 05:58, david turner wrote:
> Just keeping TT_RunIns reachable is not enough, we must also prevent
> modifications of many
> internal structures of the TrueType driver and interpreter that you're
> relying on.
Well, one point of rummaging in the source tree is to get access to the
internals of the version on the current machine.

It's enough of a hack that to me it doesn't seem unreasonable to require
people (who need that feature) to build on their own machine.

All I want is that the entry point remain available in some shape or
form.

> It'd be much better if you could find a way to embedded the FreeType
> functionality within
> the FontForge sources directly, instead on relying on something so fragile.
We discussed this before. It would divorce ff from freetype fixes which
to me is far worse.

> Please understand that we don't want to maintain _that_ level of
> backwards compatibility.
I feel this is something where >I< maintain the compatibility, not you.
I just don't want a situation where I can't hack around things.

I think we have different goals... you want to make production software,
while I just want something that can be made to work...