Re: [ft-devel] Unix Font Performance/Rendering patches available

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Unix Font Performance/Rendering patches available
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 09:24:58 +0200

Salut,

I've pushed this patch in fontconfig cooker but as expected, I didn't
saw any performance improvement since we are now using freetype 2.2.1.
well, there is a slight performance increase, but you don't see it because fc-cache is now losing most of its time in zlib's "inflate_fast' due to the large number of compressed pcf.gz font files, as well as loading *each* glyph from every font file just to retrieve its advance and
check that it's not empty.

The current FreeType CVS contains improvements to glyph loading that speed the later operation, but a nicer solution is to provide a specific function within FreeType to perform the advance retrieval + empty check as fast as possible within the font engine (i.e. without

I have a prototype version of FreeType and FontConfig that allow me to perform a font cache regeneration in less than 4 seconds now, but that's only because I have decompressed all pcf fonts in my /usr/lib/X11/fonts directories. I'll post everything when it's complete.

it's really time to complete fonttosfnt in order to get rid of pcf.gz font files, this is one dawn ugly
format, both in terms of performance and memory footprint !!

I've tested the cairo patch and there are some problems with
gnome-font-properties :
In "Details", test each hinting mode with subpixel rendering. Then,
switch to graylevel rendering and switch hinting => fonts will be
rendered as color subpixel rendering, except for "no hinting" settings.

I didn't had time to investigate this problem more precisely (but I
remember having this kind of issue when I initially rewrote the cairo
hinting selection part, based on your earlier suggestion).

I'm fully aware of this problem, and it's one of the reason why I didn't publish the patches before. I have tried to find the bug numerous time in Cairo, without success. I hope we'll be able to get rid of it some day, but at the moment I consider this to be an annoyance rather than a blocking
bug.

Regards,

- David Turner

Information contained in this email message is confidential and may be
privileged, and is intended only for use of the individual or entity named
above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or the
employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
in error, please immediately notify the address@hidden and destroy the original
message.