Re: [ft-devel] endian issue in ftmac.c

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] endian issue in ftmac.c
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:39:18 +0200 (CEST)

> I suppose, the reason why freetype-config and freetype2.pc don't
> include CFLAGS and LDFLAGS is to drop unexpected options like
> optimization, uninstalled libary linking etc.  So, now I'm thinking
> of import ftmac.c-specific CFLAGS & LDFLAGS to freetype-config &
> freetype2.pc.  How do you think of?

Please go ahead!  Maybe it makes sense also to contact Fink gurus or
check other packages ported to Mac OS.  I can't really help.

> Considering the binary compatibility when ftmac-enabled FreeType2 is
> replaced by ftmac-disabled FreeType2 on MacOS X, adding dummy
> functions returning just FT_Err_Unimplemented is expected to avoid
> problem by unresolvable symbols?
>
> However, rather I hesitate to add new functions even if they are
> portable dummy.

I see no problems here.  Adding new (dummy) functions doesn't cause a
binary incompatibility if FreeType's DLL version number is increased.
Please update the documentation also so that users can clearly
identify the stubs.