Re: [ft-devel] Crash because of invalid use of setjmp

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Crash because of invalid use of setjmp
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 03:40:20 +0900

Hi Henrik,

On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 19:07:44 +0200 (CEST)
>> Unfortunately, the platforms of ftvalid maintainers (Masatake
>> Yamato and me) are quite limited: Linux/i386 and a few Mac OS X,
>> thus the bug does not appear. Yet I'm not sure of the intention
>> of original author, give me a few weeks. If urgent fix is required,
>> I will write a patch for configure to check ft_validator_run()
>> works well and replace ft_setjmp() if does not work.
>
>Having ft_validator_run() be a function can not be trusted on any
>platform.

Thank you for info. According to Yamato's post:

http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2005-07/msg00008.html

I think otvalid was originally designed to use ft_setjmp()
and using ft_validator_run() was not essential. Possibly
gxvalid is same.

I've searched the mailing list archive, but I could not find
the discussion about why ft_validator_run() was introduced:
possibly David Turner had written it. Anyway, in CVS, I could
not find any evidence that this function was used before,
always ft_setjmp() was used. So, now I think, replacing
ft_validator_run() in otvalid/gxvalid by ft_setjmp() won't be
problematic.

Yamato-san, how do you think of?

Regards,
mpsuzuki