Re: [ft-devel] Z/OS status

From: Tom Quarendon
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Z/OS status
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 18:14:30 +0100

In partial answer to my own question, I modified include/freetype/tttags.h as aluded to in a previous post, to change all of the lines like

#define TTAG_avar  FT_MAKE_TAG( 'a', 'v', 'a', 'r' )

to lines like

#define TTAG_avar  FT_MAKE_TAG( 0x61, 0x76, 0x61, 0x72 )

(I just wrote a small java program to convert the 'a' to 0x61 etc) and the sample program below now works.

I've yet to actually try and produce any output with it yet, but at least the fonts load which is a good sign.

I can send a new version of the tttags.h file for inclusion in CVS if required.

Tom Quarendon wrote:
What's the status of FreeType on z/os?
There are a number of previous posts that indicate that it should work, but I'm having trouble loading a truetype font. I'm trying to load the Bitstream Vera.ttf TrueType font, which I've copied in binary to my z/os machine. I've got the FT_DEBUG_LEVEL_ERROR and FT_DEBUG_LEVEL_TRACE options turned on in my freetype build, but when I run a small program like

#include <ft2build.h>
#include FT_FREETYPE_H

int main(int argc, const char* argv[]) {
    FT_Library library;
    FT_Init_FreeType( &library );

    FT_Face face;
FT_Error error = FT_New_Face(library, "/u/wpcuk02/fonts/Vera.ttf", 0, &face);
    printf("FT_New_Face returned %d\n", error);

}

I get

FT_Stream_Open: could not open `/u/wpcuk02/fonts/._Vera.ttf'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `/u/wpcuk02/fonts/%Vera.ttf'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `/u/wpcuk02/fonts/.AppleDouble/Vera.ttf'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `/u/wpcuk02/fonts/Vera.ttf/rsrc'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `/u/wpcuk02/fonts/resource.frk/Vera.ttf'
FT_Stream_Open: could not open `/u/wpcuk02/fonts/.resource/Vera.ttf'
FT_New_Face returned 2

It is possible that I've not built freetype right, because I've made some Makefiles to build it that fit in with our build system, but I've managed on the PC and it all works wonderfully.

Any ideas what might be wrong, or how I can get further with this?