[ft-devel] embedding Carbon dependency info into freetype2.pc & freetype

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: [ft-devel] embedding Carbon dependency info into freetype2.pc & freetype-config
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 02:47:31 +0900

Dear Sirs,

Since freetype-2.2.1 release, I received several complains
from MacOSX developers/users saying as: freetype-2.2.1 links
Carbon library (non POSIX, MacOS-specific APIs) by default,
but freetype-config/freetype2.pc does not mention whether
libfreetype depends on Carbon /or not.

To link Carbon library, non-standard option "-Xlinker -framework
-Xlinker CoreServices ..." is added to LDFLAGS. If I could
embed this option to freetype2.pc and freetype-config (if
libfreetype is configured to use Carbon), the reported problem
will be solved.

Although I was afraid such non-standard option introduce some
confusion, recently I heard that sdl.pc includes such option:
"-Wl,-framework,Cocoa". So now I think embedding such option
is into freetype2.pc and freetype-config (when required) is
acceptable.

Please let me know how do you think of.

Regards,
mpsuzuki