[ft-devel] Re: FreeType error reading CJKV font outlines.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: FreeType error reading CJKV font outlines.
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:25:07 +0100 (CET)

> Is it possible to determine in advance that a font is 'tricky' and
> that hinting needs to be applied.

No.  In version 2.3.0, we use a simple list of glyph names (which
unfortunately isn't the optimal way since some fonts like MingLiU have
both an older an newer version: The former needs the trick, the latter
doesn't).  Have a look into `tt_face_init' in file ttobjs.c.

I'm not sure whether it makes sense to provide such a function: First,
the number of exceptions is small, and second, the list is certainly
incomplete and of heuristical nature.

> Also I am not sure how to keep glyph outlines in font units after
> hinting is applied?

This doesn't work.  Hinting is always bound to a certain PPEM value.
You might use a very large PPEM so that hinting artifacts are reduced
to a minimum; afterwards you can convert the outline back to font
units.