[ft-devel] Bug in fuzzed TTF file

From: Victor Stinner
Subject: [ft-devel] Bug in fuzzed TTF file
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 16:23:10 +0200

Hi,

I wrote a fuzzer and tried it on Image Magick. I found some bugs and one
critical in TTF format. I don't want to publish to much informations since I
think that it's a serious security bug (may lead to arbitrary code
execution).

It's hard to track the error but it's near line 325 in src/truetype/ttgload.c
(function Get_VMetrics()). Status of the function on the crash:
   n_contours = 1
   n_points = -12526 (negative)
   tags = NULL

Problems:
   signed/unsigned integers conversion (stange instruction: « cont[0] =
FT_GET_USHORT(); ») --> negative number of points
   tags in NULL (why?)

Contact me if you would like to get more informations or the bug to reproduce
the bug.

Does Freetype use a bug tracker? Is the source repository (cvs/svn) public?

Victor
--
Victor Stinner
http://www.inl.fr/