Re: [ft-devel] Re: [Fontconfig] Why did the default font settings chang

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Re: [Fontconfig] Why did the default font settings change around freetype 2.3 release and why isn't there at least a simple "no blurry fonts" settings?
Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 10:06:41 +0200

Hello Maarten,

On Thu, 17 May 2007 11:00:46 +0200, "Maarten Maathuis" <address@hidden> said:
> I do have one small question, why is the autohinter so ugly? (Is this on
> purpose?)

Of course, it *is* on purpose. You see, we at the FreeType Team, we take pride
in
producing *only* the ugliest and most disgusting text rendering we can get. Our
motto
is, after all, "Proudly making users vomit since 1996 !" :o)

More seriously, the auto-hinter produces text that is a lot closer to the
original
character shapes than anything you'll get from a highly tuned bytecoded
TrueType font.

What I mean is that what you consider "good" text here is a highly distorted
version
of the original font; it's more similar to a hand-coded bitmap than anything
else and
there is no way that the auto-hinter can match this kind of work with the small
CPU
and memory resources it can use.

And personally, I'm pretty tired of bytecoded text rendering. I find it a lot
more ugly
than the auto-hinter's output. that's not to say that the latter can't be
improved but
your mileage may vary.

- David Turner