Re: [ft-devel] RE: dropout in '2' in times.ttf

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] RE: dropout in '2' in times.ttf
Date: Tue, 22 May 2007 16:13:36 +0200

Hi Graham,

as you said, the real problem is that the bytecode program for the "2"
distorts the vector so much that it creates an ultra-thin diagonal stem.

if you're not using the auto-hinter, which shouldn't have this problem,
you should either use monochrome rendering, or use a different technique.

for instance, render *and* hint at a larger resolution, then filter the
result back to the original size. Of course, one problem is that the shapes
and metrics you're going to get will be slightly different anyway.

Regards,

- David Turner