Re: [ft-devel] disappointing results with autohinting

From: David Turner
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] disappointing results with autohinting
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 21:37:06 +0200

Hi Graham,

you can try to use the FT_LOAD_TARGET_MONO flag to force monochrome-specific
auto-hinting (FT_LOAD_MONOCHROME only forces monochrome rendering when
FT_LOAD_RENDER
is also used, can't change this for backwards compatibility reasons...)

however, I don't think the result should be significantly better. I've more or
less
given up on producing really nice monochrome output, especially for serif fonts.

the alternative would be to used embedded bitmaps, for example ones you would
generate
with the bytecode interpreter...

Hope this helps,

- David