Re: {Spam?} Re: [ft-devel] Type 1 fonts: Freetype 2 vs T1lib

From: Vincent Torri
Subject: Re: {Spam?} Re: [ft-devel] Type 1 fonts: Freetype 2 vs T1lib
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 19:05:20 +0200 (CEST)

I would like to update VFlib [1] from Freetype 1 to Freetype 2.

Aah, Hirotsugu's project is still alive?  I met him a few years ago in
Tsukuba, but even then he told me that he didn't have much time to
work on it...

more or less. He has no time right now. I'm using his dvilib for a dvi
previewer and i've remarked a mem leak. When I saw the code, i decided to
help him improving the way dvilib and vflib are built, making it work
on windows and maybe reworking the code a bit. As we are in 2007, I think
it's better to use Freetype 2 rather than Freetype 1

So I would like to know if Freetype 2 would be sufficient for using
Type 1 fonts, compared to T1lib.

Theoretically, this should work, especially if you work in the
autohinter mode of FreeType.  However, the native Type 1 hinting
engine of FreeType contains some known flaws, and noone is actively
working on it.  A few months ago someone suggested to pass the Type 1
hints to the autohinter (which is a good idea, I believe), but nothing
has happened in the mean time, AFAIK.

ok. For now, I keep T1lib for Type 1 fonts.

thank you

Vincent Torri