[ft-devel] Improve rendering with reversed colors

From: Maciej Pilichowski
Subject: [ft-devel] Improve rendering with reversed colors
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 14:05:00 +0100

Hello,

  Freetype looks very nice while regular usage, but I work with
reversed colors (white on black) -- with anything (AA or hinting)
turned on text immediately looks too thin and hard to read.

  If there could be any improvement I would be glad to see it.

  Btw. there was nice article about font rendering by Joel Spolsky:

in the image on Joel's page there is comparison between Mac and
Windows renderings. I don't know which algorithm is used in FT but
comparing to what I see it (FT) is closer to Windows -- and while it
looks almost ok on white is a killer for eyes on black. Currently I
have all features turned off and as result text is a bit bolder and
easier to read, but on the other hand blurry.

  Thank you in advance for any comments about making text with
reversed colors easier to read. All in all the idea is to get crisp
text, but readable.

have a nice day, bye