Re: [ft-devel] FreeType 2.3.5, minor issues

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] FreeType 2.3.5, minor issues
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:34:39 +0100 (CET)

> Now, src/base/ftbase.c includes ftmac.c by
>
>       #include <ftmac.c>
>
> syntax.

This looks like an error, indeed: All other files (except ft2build.h)
are included with double quotes.

> For such softwares, the simple inclusion by "" is easier because it
> searches the current directory implicitly.  It is why Sean McBride
> asked to replace
>
>       #include <ftmac.c>
>
> by
>       #include "ftmac.c"

I support that.

> The most generic advice for such softwares is "please add
> -I${freetype_top_dir}/src/base to CFLAGS".  In my personal opinion,
> if a software designer does not use genuine freetype
> configure/Jamfile/project file, he is responsible to the setting of
> appropriate CFLAGS.

Yep.

> But I'm afraid there are too many unactively-maintained softwares
> including freetype to tell that.  So rewriting ftbase.c for easy
> dropin-update is not meaningless, I think.  Following patch is too
> ugly for ftbase.c?

I think yes. :-)  In general, you can't expect that an unmaintained
project automatically runs with newer versions of FreeType -- we
always try to stay binary compatible, but on the source code level
this assumption is not necessarily true.

> Other idea may be: use a macro FT_MAC_C to include non- default
> (legacy) ftmac.c and expects builds/unix/configure.raw to define it.
> If it's not defined, include default (Mac OS X-only)
> src/base/ftmac.c.

Do you think this is *really* necessary?  My favourite action would be
to silently replace <...> with "..." and wait for bug reports.
However, I leave the decision to you.  Please commit whatever you
think is best.