Re: [ft-devel] Understanding Type1 fonts

From: Donn
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Understanding Type1 fonts
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 12:27:38 +0200

On Wednesday, 09 January 2008 11:51:46 Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> No.  PFM is a special (binary) format of AFM used on Windows only.
> You can completely ignore them.  So
>
>    PBA,PBF -> AFM
Are those new types or typos?
PBA? PBF?

So, to clarify, you advise that:
1. If I find a PFB file without an AFM, just use the PFB (i.e. link into
~/.fonts)
2. If I find a PFB with a partner AFM file, use both (i.e. link both into
~/.fonts)
3. If I find a PFA file without an AFM, just use the PFA
4. If I find a PFA with a partnet AFM, use both.
5. Ignore any and all PFM files.

> This is it.  There are other PS font formats,
Are these worth supporting? I don't think I have one on my entire Kubuntu
system. What would they be called? "Postscript fonts"?

> I don't think that you have to take care of that).  Look into
> FreeType's `formats.txt' documentation file.
Thanks, I had a look. There is no mention of pf* in that file at all. Kind of
confusing for me, but I'll read it a few times.

\d
--
Fonty Python and other dev news at:
http://otherwiseingle.blogspot.com/