Re: [ft-devel] Reporting minor issues

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Reporting minor issues
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 10:00:15 +0100 (CET)

> Last year I set up this site that shows how to have sharp fonts on
> Linux: www.sharpfonts.com

Aah, I wasn't aware of this.

> Since then, I have had several messages from people reporting minor
> font rendering issues.  I think these reports may help the Freetype
> project to improve the font rendering algorithm.

Indeed.  However, David Turner has virtually no time to work on
FreeType currently, and my time is limited too, so it's always best to
check the bugs database on savannah.gnu.org (and add an entry for a
new bug).

> Please let me know if you'd like me to add in the FAQ of my web site
> a section on how to report a minor rendering issue.  For instance I
> could ask users to send to some one of the Freetype dev team a
> report with the following information:
>
>  - Screen size
>  - Screen resolution in dpi
>  - Font used
>  - Font version
>  - Font size
>  - Screenshot
>  - Problem description

Well, FreeType is just a small component in the rasterization process.
What we need is basically a confirmation of the problem with one of
the ft2demos tools (e.g. ftview or ftstring) and a recipe how to
reproduce the bug.