[ft-devel] Difference between mono and grey-scale rasterizers.

From: George Williams
Subject: [ft-devel] Difference between mono and grey-scale rasterizers.
Date: 28 Apr 2008 14:34:59 -0700

This is a far cry from a minimal case with a small bit of code to
display the problem, so feel free to ignore it.

A user reported to me that fontforge would crash when rasterizing a
certain glyph in a font. He provided a patch which caused fontforge to
use the grey-scale rasterizer. Same glyph. Same font. Same pixelsize.

The black and white rasterizer returns the error code Invalid_Outline
from line 3000 of ftraster.c.

The grey-scale rasterizer succeeds and returns the correct greymap.

I have worked around this in the current cvs of fontforge (so I'm not
concerned if no one looks into it). But if anyone has an interest + time
to pursue the matter:

Start fontforge
$ fontforge http://fontforge.sf.net/sfds/ExtragantCapitals.sfd.bz2

Then open the "M" (or "W") glyph. Turn on the background fill
(View->Show->Fill)

Yesterday's fontforge would crash on this, today's will try to generate
a monochrome bitmap, and if that fails try to generate a graymap.