[ft-devel] Re: Problem sniffing font weight/width

From: Deron Kazmaier
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: Problem sniffing font weight/width
Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 21:01:49 -0600

This is probably not a freetype problem, but maybe someone here can point me in a direction that helps. I have a couple of fonts in which the OS2 structure contains bogus weights. For example, a (Mac) Helvetica.dfont that the Helvetica Bold font weight is the same as the Regular weight, but the Bold Italic weight is (correctly) larger. The Helvetica font with 10.4 is correct, but the 10.5 is version is hosed. The LinotypeUnivers font I have is even worse. It has a couple dozen weights, widths, plus italics and probably 2/3 report wrong widths and weights.

I am assuming that there must be some Mac resource or?? that is correctly identifying the weights, or Mac apps would not work with these fonts. Sadly, I expect this from free fonts, but these are anything but!
The mac probably never looks at the OS/2 table. That's a MicroSoft
extension and in the old days mac fonts did not even have it.

I would guess that the mac is simply reading strings out of the 'name'
table (probably SubFamily string ID).

The SubFamily is my fallback, but I was (incorrectly) assuming that the table would be valid. Maybe I'll ask around the Mac lists to see if some resource exists to identify the font weight. Otherwise I need to scratch the OS/2 table support. What good is it if it is wrong sometimes?

Thanks!

Deron Kazmaier