Re: [ft-devel] Problems compiling Freetype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Problems compiling Freetype
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 22:44:08 +0200 (CEST)

> i installed linux on my system and it worked on linux, then i copied
> the dito environment variables from linux to ming on windows and it
> worked.. :).

Good to know.  However, this just hides the problem, namely, that
probably the configure script fails with mingw.  It probably helps if
you get the latest versions of automake, autoconf, and libtool so that
you can regenerate the `configure' script with a call to `sh
autogen.sh'.

> But now i have another issue. I have placed libfreetype.a in the
> /usr/lib. when i compile a test program, i get the following errors.

> #else
> #include <freetype/freetype.h>
> #include <freetype/ftglyph.h>
> #include <freetype/ftsizes.h>
> #include <freetype/ftsnames.h>
> #include <freetype/ttnameid.h>
> #include <freetype/ftoutln.h>
> #endif

Uuh, you should *never* include the FreeType header files directly but
always use the header macros.

> C:/DOCUME~1/ishu/LOCALS~1/Temp/cc8uJhA6.o:conftest.c:(.text+0x1d):
> undefined reference to `_imp__FT_Init_FreeType'

Apparently, mingw gcc doesn't search /usr/lib by default so you
probably have to use -L to give the path.  However, I don't use mingw,
so this is a wild guess only.