Re: [ft-devel] GETINFO instruction and subpixel rendering

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] GETINFO instruction and subpixel rendering
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 14:37:23 +0200 (CEST)

> > No.  FreeType does *not* support ClearType.
>
> I thought that ClearType is approximately equal to subpixel
> rendering.

Yes, but the description of the additional `modes' and `features' is
far too superficial to be of any value.

> But how can you propose a way to inform a font that it is displayed
> with subpixel rendering?

Well, (horizontal) subpixel rendering has an increased horizontal
resolution (by a factor 3) -- I think this is the same for ClearType,
but this needs confirmation.

My knowledge is quite restricted...