[ft-devel] freetype branch at svn.ghostscript.com

From: Ralph Giles
Subject: [ft-devel] freetype branch at svn.ghostscript.com
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 21:05:08 -0800

All,

Just a note, we've created a branch on top of the freetype 2.3.8
release at http://svn.ghostscript.com/ghostscript/trunk/freetype so we
can work on our own fixes before trying to push them upstream. Right
now (r9528) it:

* enables the incremental font support
* enables tracing, since we're debugging things
* disables the glyph index range check in the t1 loader when
incremental support is on

Without the last change, we can't load our built-in type 1 fonts,
although loading a truetype font through Ghostscript FAPIfontmap works
for me. E.g.:

FAPIfontmap entry in the cwd:
/Gentium <<
  /Path (/usr/share/fonts/truetype/ttf-sil-gentium/GenI102.ttf)
  /FontType 42
  /FAPI /FreeType

command line:
debugobj/gs -c '/Gentium findfont 48 scalefont setfont 100 700 moveto
(Gentium Freetype) show showpage quit'

Ghostscript seems to run PLRM.pdf ok with or without this change.

running examples/alphabet.ps from the gs source tree fails without
this change. With the change the glyphs are all drawn at the bottom of
the page because of the bbox radix issue, which we're fixing on our
side.

Henry, I didn't apply your corresponding change to the type1 loader
because I couldn't reproduce failure that motivated it. Can you
explain what did you did again?

Anyway, hopefully this will let us coordinate our work a little better.

Cheers,
 -r