Re: [ft-devel] Searching for an FT2 tester program

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Searching for an FT2 tester program
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 11:36:44 +0200 (CEST)

> Arranging a set of patches where each of them is a meaningful unit
> of changes takes a lot of work.
>
> I'll do that again, but I hope that's the last time I have to do
> that.

I've answered that already -- use your changes as-is, and apply
possible fixes on top of it (including possible fixes to the header
issues).

> Regarding ftimage.h and ftrender.h,
>
> These macros that declared there might be necessary if a user needs
> to instantiate an FT_Outline_Funcs or FT_Raster_Funcs or
> FT_Glyph_Class struct in his code and needs the code to be
> compatible with PIC.

A general remark: It is not possible (and probably never will be) to
add a (font) driver on the application side; it must always be
integrated into the FreeType library source code tree.  Maybe some
time a good guy is willing to clean up the interface so that a driver
can really be plugged in externally, but I think it is really not
worth the trouble.  It seems that your macros in ftimage.h are not
affected by this limitation, but I'm not sure about the added stuff in
ftrender.h.

> I don’t know if a user is expected to implement a renderer or a
> module externally (on his own), but if he does then he might need
> these macros too.

Currently I think the answer is `no' to both.

> If not, then why are FT_Renderer_Class and FT_Module_Class structs
> exposed to the user?

I think this is a historical accident.  IMHO, the whole module class
stuff should be simplified since the later implemented `service'
feature works much better.

> Anyway, if you do decide to move these macros to another header, we
> can do that after the current set of patches I'm preparing.

Yep.