Re: [ft-devel] dfont and TrueType collections

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] dfont and TrueType collections
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 08:37:10 +0900

Hi,

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 13:34:23 -0400
Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden> wrote:
>I had to fix a bug [1] in Pango and fontconfig where the ftglue-derived code
>was checking "face->num_faces > 1" to detect TrueType Collections.  This fails
>with Apple dfont's where num_faces is the number of faces in different streams
>of the dfont and does not mean the current face is a TTC.
>
>Is this intentional or a bug in FreeType?

It was intentional. The feature counting the faces in Apple
Suitcase font format as if it were TTC had ever been
implemented for MacOS, proposed by Paul Mirror:

2001-10-26  Leonard Rosenthol  <address@hidden>

        * builds/mac/README: Updated to reflect my taking over the project
        and that is now being actively maintained.

        * src/base/ftmac.c (parse_fond): Applied patches from Paul Miller
        <address@hidden> to support loading a face other than the
        first from a FOND resource.
        (FT_New_Face_From_FOND): Updated.

But I sympathize with your dissatisfaction that FT2 provides
no API to distinguish TTC and FOND. Although you already fixed
Pango (and fontconfig?) to distinguish by checking the internal
of the font file (I'm sorry!), do you need any functionalities
in FT2?

Regards,
mpsuzuki