Re: [ft-devel] dfont and TrueType collections

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] dfont and TrueType collections
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 23:29:34 -0400

On 04/09/2009 07:37 PM, address@hidden wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 13:34:23 -0400
Behdad Esfahbod<address@hidden>  wrote:
I had to fix a bug [1] in Pango and fontconfig where the ftglue-derived code
was checking "face->num_faces>  1" to detect TrueType Collections.  This fails
with Apple dfont's where num_faces is the number of faces in different streams
of the dfont and does not mean the current face is a TTC.

Is this intentional or a bug in FreeType?

It was intentional. The feature counting the faces in Apple
Suitcase font format as if it were TTC had ever been
implemented for MacOS, proposed by Paul Mirror:

Understood.

2001-10-26  Leonard Rosenthol<address@hidden>

         * builds/mac/README: Updated to reflect my taking over the project
         and that is now being actively maintained.

         * src/base/ftmac.c (parse_fond): Applied patches from Paul Miller
         <address@hidden>  to support loading a face other than the
         first from a FOND resource.
         (FT_New_Face_From_FOND): Updated.

But I sympathize with your dissatisfaction that FT2 provides
no API to distinguish TTC and FOND. Although you already fixed
Pango (and fontconfig?) to distinguish by checking the internal
of the font file (I'm sorry!), do you need any functionalities
in FT2?

No, it's perfectly fine, as we were doing our own table lookup anyway. It's just that the ftglue code was making a wrong assumption. The patch was barely ten lines.

behdad

Regards,
mpsuzuki