[ft-devel] Re: How FT_Load_Glyph() should work for the glyph description

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: How FT_Load_Glyph() should work for the glyph description that cannot be rendered correctly?
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 12:34:13 +0200 (CEST)

> There are a few directions:
>
> A) Extend FT_GlyphLoader etc to pass GID to
>    FT_GlyphLoader_CheckPoints. Issues the warnings with GID, but the
>    error behaviour is same with current FT2.
>
> B) Give up to issue a message with both of GID and array
>    overflow. The glyph description parser issues an error or
>    warning, but continues the process as current FT2 does.
>
> C) Introduce new error number to pass "the glyph description cannot
>    be rendered correctly by FT2, but other properties like the
>    metrics are correctly obtained" to FT_Load_Glyph().
>
> D) Make FT_Load_Glyph() ignore load_glyph() error when
>    FT_LOAD_RENDER is not.
>
> Anything else?

In case A) doesn't break the ABI this is good solution.  Regarding C)
I'm not sure whether it makes sense to do that at all.  In case a
glyph cannot be rendered correctly it really doesn't matter at all
IMHO whether the returned metrics information is correct or not.  In
other words, the client application can simply insert the default
.notdef glyph and metrics.  D) sounds interesting, too.  Again the
question whether we need this -- maybe someone can provide a (near)
real-life example where such a behaviour is desired...