[ft-devel] Is it BUG???

From: Z3N
Subject: [ft-devel] Is it BUG???
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:57:21 +0300

Hi! Can you tell me what wrong in this code? Or its one of bugs in freetype? I'm use FF 2.3.9.s
/* There hide code, which initializing FF... correctly.
Other things, like rendering, working....*/
FT_UInt        Left,Right;
FT_Vector  delta;
Left=FT_Get_Char_Index( face, (FT_ULong)* L"V" );
Right=FT_Get_Char_Index( face,(FT_ULong)* L"A" );
FT_Get_Kerning( face, Left, Right,FT_KERNING_DEFAULT, &delta );
delta.x=delta.x>>6;

But, the value, which returned from FT_Get_Kerning always 0! This face support kerning, I check it with macros FT_HAS_KERNING and he is return 40!!! This is good, isn't?
What's wrong???

OK, lets think what the FT_Get_Kerning working. I know what its api return kerning from glyps, which be a member of the same face. But, what do when glyps from distinct faces?

And can you tell me how do I handle the "Italic" style in face? Imagine, I'm create face from file "arial.ttf" and later I need aply "Italic" style to them. I'm know what "italic" style located in other file "ariali.ttf", but maybe FreeType provide some useful API for this case??? This is can save my psychical health :). Or I need create new face from "ariali.ttf" and render from this face???

And final question - how to apply "italic" style in font collection?

P.S.:
Sorry, english is't my native language....