Re: [ft-devel] porting problem: visual studio compile problem

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] porting problem: visual studio compile problem
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2009 14:31:44 +0200 (CEST)

> I find the freetype.dsp with 0A as newline, but Visual C++ 6.0
> require 0D0A.

We know that, thanks.

> So, when I download and uncompress freetype-2.3.9.tar.gz, open the
> the freetype.dsw with Visual C++ 6, nothing is show, open the
> freetype.dsp, one dialog show with warn: This makefile was not
> generated by Developer Studio.  I can get nothing on windows
> platform.

The idea is that you download the ZIP file, which contains the proper
line endings for Windows.

> I think before gzip the freetype project files, dos2unix like tool
> is used or unix2dos should be used for the Visual Studio project
> files.  Visual C++ and new version Visual Studio project files
> should keep the newline 0D0A.

If something doesn't work as expected I suggest to first consult the
documentation.  From freetype-2.3.9/builds/win32/visualc/index.html:

  Be sure to extract the files with the Windows (CR+LF) line endings.
  ZIP archives are already stored this way, so no further action is
  required.  If you use some .tar.*z archives, be sure to configure
  your extracting tool to convert the line endings.  For example, with
  WinZip, you should activate the TAR file smart CR/LF Conversion
  option.  Alternatively, you may consider using the unix2dos or u2d
  utilities that are floating around, which specifically deal with
  this particular problem.