Re: [ft-devel] questions about OpenType fonts with CFF data

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] questions about OpenType fonts with CFF data
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:06:49 +0100 (CET)

Sorry for the late reply.

>>> So, does this means that you have seen OpenType fonts with CFF
>>> data having multiple font?
>>
>> This is not possible.  According to people from both Adobe and
>> Microsoft (as discussed on the OpenType mailing list, IIRC), a CFF
>> font in an SFNT wrapper can only have a single font.  This is
>> undocumented, however.
>
> Ok, thanks; this confirms my idea.  I hope this will get documented,
> at least in the ISO Open Font Format specification.

I think it won't, since this is a limitation of the various OpenType
implementations and not of the specification itself.

> Another restriction, IMHO, is with the FontMatrix: it can only take
> values: [1/unitsPerEm 0 0 1/unitsPerEm 0 0]

>From where did you get this information?

> Is the OpenType mailing list you are speaking about this:
> http://www.microsoft.com/typography/OTSPEC/otlist.htm
> ?

Yes; you might subscribe and try to get an answer to your above
question.  However, I think that this page is out of date; the correct
address is, AFAIK,

  address@hidden

for subscription.