Re: [ft-devel] Patented bytecode interpretter and fallback to autohinter

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Patented bytecode interpretter and fallback to autohinter
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 16:32:30 -0500

On 02/23/2010 08:26 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> Basically, I think this is a FontConfig issue; all TrueType fonts
> which need autohinting should be configured as such.

I understand your stance.  However, having to configure fonts individually is
something we have tried to avoid before.

> On the other hand I see the problem you have.  However, there is
> currently no possibility (built into FreeType, I mean) to find out
> whether a font has TrueType hints or not.  It's straightforward to add
> such a function, and FontConfig might use it during the creation of
> the cache.

That would be useful, yes.

> What kind of interface would you like to have?  I can imagine that you
> want to check the presence of a font's hinting instructions for a
> given range of input codes (not that I would really like this, but...)

Not really.  A yes/partial/no answer should be enough.  Do you think this is
something we can get in soon?  If yes, I can get the fontconfig parts in.
Probably need some cairo work also.

I'll probably revert it in Fedora since getting all the pieces working may
take a bit longer.

Thanks,
behdad