Re: [ft-devel] Problematic font

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Problematic font
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 06:56:39 +0100 (CET)

>>Thanks.  However, the main question before applying such a patch: Is
>>this font accepted by either MS Windows or Acroread?  This is, can
>>you register the font under MS Windows and make it display the
>>embedded bitmap within, say, notepad?  Or can you provide a PDF file
>>with this font which does the same with acroread?
>
> Yes, font can be registered under windows and displays appropriate
> characters at relevant point size,

Your wording is not strong enough for me.  Are you *sure* that the
embedded bitmaps are used?  Normally, if there are problems with
embedded bitmaps (or in case there aren't bitmap at this ppem size),
glyphs are rasterized from the outlines.

After applying your patch locally you might use the `ftview' demo
program to check this; use the `b' button to switch on and off the
display of embedded bitmaps (after pressing `a' to switch off
anti-aliasing), take a screen snapshot, and compare the rasterization
of windows with the snapshot.

> printing to distiller and reading in Acrobat seems to be ok If you
> require the PDF, I can provide it

Please do and send it privately to me so that I have the font itself
for further investigation and for archiving.  BTW, I'm not sure
whether acroread uses embedded bitmaps at all for displaying
documents.