[ft-devel] Re: a flag making FT_Open_Face() to use fallback family name

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: [ft-devel] Re: a flag making FT_Open_Face() to use fallback family name
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 17:19:43 +0900

Dear Werner,

Thank you for comment!

On Sat, 28 Aug 2010 09:21:26 +0200 (CEST)
Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>Thanks for working on this!  I like the idea of registering the
>checksums.

>Again, I have no opinion on this.  The smaller the code, the better,
>of course, but it should be convenient to use, too.  Please proceed as
>you like since you are in contact with the poppler people.

David Bevan proposed to enable the hinter for all
"nameless" fonts. In poppler mailing list, Albert
commented it would be the simplest solution for
this issue, better than mine (because my patches
are not self-standing, it requires some interaction
with PDF rendering layer). See his comment:
  http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/poppler/2010-August/006310.html

So, I want to apply David's proposal in next release
of FreeType2, for first step. If we receive so many
complains about its impact, I will try other solutions,
like identification of the tricky fonts by table checksums.

How do you think?

Regards,
mpsuzuki