Re: [ft-devel] a satisfactory fix for the cubic spline bug

From: GRAHAM ASHER
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] a satisfactory fix for the cubic spline bug
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 17:28:30 +0000 (GMT)

Some reasons this hasn't made very many waves;

1. My impression is that nearly all actual fonts are TrueType these days.
TrueType does't use cubic splines. It uses quadratics only.

2. Font designers very rarely use 'exciting' cubic splines. Splines with
control
points on both sides of the line hardly ever occur in glyphs, and I would
expect
self-crossing curves never to occur.

We must of course be correct for all curves, but we need optimise heavily only
for the common case where p0, p1, p2 and p3 have r-coordinates (using Hain's
notation) in that order, and s-coordinates with the same sign.

Graham