Re: [ft-devel] Rendering artifacts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Rendering artifacts
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 07:19:07 +0200 (CEST)

>> > The way i understand it - Windows's rasterizer (with or without
>> > ClearType) processes the bytecode (or output of the BCI) differently
>> > so that the problem never manifests itself.
>>
>> I don't think so.

Oops, I misunderstood the remark.  You are right, the bytecode is
interpreted differently, at least for ClearType.

> Sorry for forgetting to actually provide the text for [1], here goes:
> http://translated.by/you/why-linux-fonts-suck/original/

Uh, oh, this article is three years old...

And the `theory' he mentions is plain wrong: It has nothing to do with
the rasterizer.

A whitepaper from Microsoft has appeared (please look up the archive
for an URL) which explains how ClearType actually works, and in
particular, what they do with legacy fonts.  Three years ago, this
wasn't known at all.