[ft-devel] yet another group of TrueType fonts that require hinting

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: [ft-devel] yet another group of TrueType fonts that require hinting
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 00:22:44 +0900

Hi,

I got an old "FontAvenue" package (version 1.0, date 1996/
1997) manufactured by NEC, it includes several fonts that
require hintings for readable rasterization results.
See attached pictures.

In the cases of Dynalab & HuaTian fonts, the glyph structure
is extremely broken when hintings are disabled. But in the
cases of these NEC fonts, the structure is almost kept,
but some strokes are changed to invisibly thin lines.
If anti-aliasing is enabled, these thin lines are erased.

I will search later versions, but if anybody has NEC fonts
whose names start with "FA" prefix, please let me know if
they are rasterized correctly without hinting.

Regards,
mpsuzuki